Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Diet, Diet, Diet!




I admit, I have been on a diet as of late.  That's such a dirty word, isn't it? Diet. Yuk. I mean, the word "die" is even in it for goodness sake!  Okay, that aside, I have been loving this app on my iphone called "My Fitness Pal".  It tracks my calories day-to-day, and really makes me stay within my alotted caloric intake. Of course, in order for it to be helpful, you have to log every single, frickin' thing you eat, but, after a couple days, that gets easy and you fall into a routine. So far, I've been logging in for almost 1 month. Woot woot! 
So, I've been craving some yummy-licious fried chicken but of course, just thinking of that would take a huge chunk of my daily calories, so I opted instead for some bake "fried" chicken.  And boy, did I hit a home run with this one. Loved it! I got the recipe from the Once Upon A Plate blog and here it is:


This recipe is good for 2 medium size chicken breasts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
prepare a shallow baking sheet/dish by lining it with parchment paper or foil. Spray this with a light coating of cooking spray.

Take 3 shallow plates and put the following into each:

Plate 1: 1/2 cup AP flour
Plate 2: 1 beaten egg with a dash of water
Plate 3: 1/2 cup Panko or bread crumbs. Stir in some garlic powder and a tablespoonful or two of Parmesan cheese.

Take your chicken breast and salt/pepper each side. Dip the breast into the flour plate, making sure each side is well coated. Tap off excess flour. Then, dip the chicken breast into the egg mixture, coating entire breast. Then, place breast into Panko/breadcrumb plate, coating evenly.

Place the chicken onto the prepared baking plate and cook from 30-50 minutes, depending on your oven. 

(the original recipe said to lightly spray the breaded chicken breast with some cooking spray before popping into oven but I skipped that).

No comments:

Post a Comment